Transition Edinburgh invite you to launch Pathways to Zero Carbon Edinburgh, 6-8pm Tuesday 19 September at Room G.0X, 50 George Sq EH8 9LH.
Register via https://zce19sept.eventbrite.co.uk
We warmly invite you to the public launch of a new resource to illustrate how Edinburgh could improve the quality of life and achieve Zero Carbon by 2040 – with technologies and techniques available NOW.
It is our contribution to the Scottish Climate Change Week 18-22 September 2017.
1. Pathways to Zero Carbon Edinburgh – We have partnered up with other Edinburgh organisations to develop a virtual, online route map – which may develop into a real traveling exhibition. This shows what is possible, and how we all can all contribute to getting there – backed by the Zero Carbon Britain project at the Centre for Alternative Technology.
2. Positive Projects across Edinburgh – Participants in ten community conversations and accompanying exhibitions held since September 2016 came up with the following priorities:
◦ Improving Local Amenities – provision of Ideas Cafes / public meeting places
◦ Strategies like Participative Budgeting to strengthen communities
◦ Better use of Green Spaces – promoting well-being by creating enjoyable places
◦ Encouraging Local Food Growing – givingpeople pride in their local community
◦ Healthy Streets – more pedestrianisation and separating motor vehicles from people
◦ People Traveling more Actively by walking and cycling
◦ Warm Homes – more well insulated and affordable housing, no fuel poverty
◦ Community Energy generation and district heating.
We invite local people to make contacts and get something happening. It may be that setting up an Ideas Café could be done most easily. The results of a survey on people’s priorities will be available.
3. Your innovative idea! – Come ready to share your ideas for promoting a net zero carbon capital city by 2040. We invite like-minded organisations seeking a clean green sustainable future in a more just Edinburgh with strong communities to come and share ideas and plan an autumn of engaging events. We hope people will work in small groups and present their ideas to the whole meeting. What do we want? When do we want it?
This public launch follows a planning session 6-8pm on Monday 11 September where organisations get together to see what they can do to collaborate on this challenging agenda. You can participate in this session too – details and registration at https://te-11sept.eventbrite.org.uk
Draft Timetable of 19/9 Launch Event:
6.00pm Register and free refreshments
6.15pm Welcome and go-round to introduce ourselves
6.30pm Results of the Priorities Survey “Your Views on the Edinburgh we want”
6.45pm Launch of “Pathways to Zero Carbon Edinburgh”
7.00pm Open floor / group discussion on how to make this work
7.45pm Wrap up and agree priorities for collaborative actions
Transition Edinburgh Gathering
Informal shared meal with extracts shown from the seminal French documentary “Demain / Tomorrow” [fully dubbed!] and reflections on the six Edinburgh Conversations held this past winter on pathways to a low carbon capital city.
“Community Response to Fracking”
Workshop on Community Responses to Extreme Energy – with three Australian activists sharing the experiences and their approaches to disrupting fracking companies in New South Wales.
Thursday 18 May.
“Edinburgh Conversations 2016-17”
“To raise awareness and lay the foundations for a Low Carbon Edinburgh”
- Meet to build capacity and resilience in Edinburgh communities.
- Share experiences of reducing our dependence on fossil fuels, so increasing knowledge and strengthening the Transition Edinburgh network.
- Raise awareness of the Edinburgh Sustainable Development Partnership, the scope of the Sustainable Energy Action Plan and the Edible Edinburgh Food Charter.
- Promote engagement by all stakeholders in the city, whether established businesses, new starts or small community groups.
- Issues raised will potentially inform and take forward the work of a community Energy Hub and Edible Edinburgh.
Conversation 1 – Building Emissions
Wednesday 21 September 2016- time 1.30 – 4.30
Venue: Edinburgh Centre for Carbon Innovation (ECCI), High School Yds, Infirmary St EH1 1LZ.
Conversation 2 – Food Matters, our choices affect climate
Wednesday 26 October, 2016 – time 18.00 -20.00
Summerhall, 1 Summerhall Square EH9 1PL
Conversation 3 – Local Energy
Wednesday 16 October 2016
Fairmilehead Church, 1a Frogston Rd West, Edinburgh EH10 7AA
Conversation 4 – Clean Transport, Less Pollution
Wednesday 25 January, 2017 – Edinburgh Centre for Carbon Innovation High School Yards, Edinburgh EH1 1LZ. Councillor Lesley Hinds, Convener of TfE with Keith Stark, Enterprise Car Club , Enrique Troncoso from the Orkney Clean Transport project and Emilia Hanna, Local Air Pollution Campaigner, Friends of the Earth.
Conversation 5 – Circular Economy, Managing Resources Responsibly
Wednesday February 22, 2017
Venue: Out of the Blue, Out of the Blue Drill Hall, 36 Dalmeny Street, Edinburgh EH6 8RG
Conversation 6 – Solar Power
Wednesday March 22, 2017
7 Bristo Square, University of Edinburgh EH8 9AL.
Reports From Past Events